'We're the Seagulls, not Seapies'

All things Williamstown - once Collingwood's VFL partner.

Moderator: bbmods

Dale61

'We're the Seagulls, not Seapies'

Post by Dale61 »

There has been a rumour circulation that Williamstown are considering hanging their nickname from the Seagulls to the Seapies.

Howard Leigh also made mention of this in the March 30 edition of the Hobsons Bay Times.

This is a letter written by Williamstown Football Club General Manager Brendan Curry refuting any and all rumours of such a name change.

'The Williamstown Football Club is extremely disappointed with the report 'The SeaPies take flight' (Times, March 30). The report by Howard Leigh misrepresented our club.

Howard was invited to our induction night on Tuesday, March 23 at Yarraville's Sun Theatre.

During the night our co-captain Brad Lloyd, on behalf of the Williamstown playing and coaching list, pledged to support the Collingwood playing list throughout 2004.

Brad referred to the Collingwood players as "Seapies". This term has been used since 2001 by our coaching and playing staff in reference to the Collingwood players.

At no time since our alignment with Collingwood began in October, 2000, have we discussed changing our logo from Seagulls to Seapies. A "Seapie" is an affectionate name we give to a Collingwood player.

The Seagull is our traditional logo and nickname and appears on all of our merchandise, clothing, correspondence and everything associated withthe football club.

Howard Leigh, as your sports reporter, affords Williamstown Football Club tremendous coverage in your newspaper, but on this occasion he misrepresented (comments) at our induction night.

I can assure all Williamstown FC members, sponsors, past players, life members and supporters that we proudly remain the Seagulls and always will in the future.

Brendan Curry - Williamstown Football Club General Manager.
Whale
Oil
Beef
Hooked
Joel

Post by Joel »

So there you have it.
Magpie-Pep

Post by Magpie-Pep »

Fantastic news.

What a stupid name change would it have been.

I used to follow Coburg in the VFL but now I follow Williamstown with a passion for Obvious reason.

has williamstown got it's own website?
Are we ready for another tilt...
Dale61

Post by Dale61 »

Yes, they do, but it is the generic 'AFL loves Telstra' layout.

http://williamstown.footballvictoria.com.au/
Whale
Oil
Beef
Hooked
Clemo

Post by Clemo »

Dale - the Pie has no sauce. Wots goin' on there ??? ;-)
Dale61

Post by Dale61 »

Clemo, I don't understand! Too early in the am for word games.

What do you mean?
Whale
Oil
Beef
Hooked
Clemo

Post by Clemo »

Dale - isn't your picture of the "SeaPie" above holding a Pie with no sauce ? lol.
Dale61

Post by Dale61 »

Thanks for clarifying Clemo.

Now that you mention it, you are probably correct, but I thought it was that the 'bird' had bitten a piece out of a football.

The graphic was included with Brendan's letter so thought I'd use it.
Whale
Oil
Beef
Hooked
labrooy

Post by labrooy »

Clemo wrote:Dale - the Pie has no sauce. Wots goin' on there ??? ;-)
Not to worry Clemo, I have yet to see a seagull care less if the pie has sauce or not... :)
Dark Beanie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Dark Beanie »

Why would Williamstown change their logo/emblem when the club has a great history behind it? Seapies sounds silly anyway. It's better for VFL clubs to retain some of their own identity just in case the 'marriage' breaks down.
If you are foolish enough to be contented, don't show it, but just grumble with the rest. - Jerome K Jerome
Clemo

Post by Clemo »

Labroy - so true, so true. And especially when it comes to fried chips. :-)
Daks

Post by Daks »

Yeah. i heard that aswell.. But for some reason, i heard that Willy were considering changing the name to the Collingwood Seagulls. :shock:. That just proves.... never beleive information given to you by Essendon supporters.