Round 2 - Unfurl the Premiership Flag - 10/04/04

All things Williamstown - once Collingwood's VFL partner.

Moderator: bbmods

Macgyver

Post by Macgyver »

Dale
I don't think relatively quiet was the best words to describe Mullins i watched the game on tv and thought he was fairly good. This is a little something i found on the herald sun web site[quote]The Seagulls broke through for their first win of the season on the back of Collingwood squad players Andrew Williams (30 possessions and two goals), Luke Mullins (30 dispos-als), David King and Mark McGough (both 21 disposals), Ben Kinnear (18 possessions and nine marks) and full-forward Marcus Baldwin, who booted six goals.

[/quote]
Dale61

Post by Dale61 »

Mac, remember that I sit at ground level, at the 50 metre arc, on the Morris St wing, and have a rather limited view when following the game through a 10cm viewfinder.

My opinions of the game will be different to those of others, and my opinion of the Williamstown v Frankston game in two weeks (another ABC-TV game) will be also be different than those that watch it on TV, but I would now rather take pics than sit and watch the game, whilst taking notes of every player on the ground.

Maybe someone should start a poll: What would you prefer Dale to do, take match pics or supply an extensive match report? (I'm not having a go at you so don't be offended by my poll suggestion.)
Whale
Oil
Beef
Hooked
Rizzo32

Post by Rizzo32 »

Dale, great pics and reports, can you list the teams for Seniors and Reserves each week?
NICK THE PIE MAN

Post by NICK THE PIE MAN »

Dale, you have out done yourself again.
Fantastic stuff. As an interstate fan, I appreciate it greatly.

Keep it up mate!
Dale61

Post by Dale61 »

Rizzo, welcome to Nick's, and to the Williamstown Factor.

I post the team(s) as soon as they become available on line, so it is entirely dependant on when the club releases the teams.

I'm sure both teams are published in the Hun, but why buy it when I can read it online?

However, I'll try harder for next weeks game, which, BTW, is against Coburg Tigers at Burbank next Saturday.
Whale
Oil
Beef
Hooked
Big T
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by Big T »

Dale,

On behalf of all interstaters thanks very much for the weekly summary. Very hard to get good info on Williamstown, great job. Good to see Williams and Kinnear putting their hands up, with the players we have lost against Brisbane they will be needed.
Buon Giorno
Canberra

Post by Canberra »

Those people interested in Luke Jarrad,check out EBnW.Colin Wisbey,who does profiles of recruits and draft players has replied to the same query.
http://www.voy.com/51976/12098.html
Do not adjust your mind. The fault is in reality.
MaggiesChick_33

Post by MaggiesChick_33 »

good stuff dale great pics and great reviews!!!!! how did cam get knocked out? and is he definatley ok?
Better than Ben Davies
Fitter than Chris Tarrant
Boy u may be hotter than Cam Cloke
And Trav Cloke Don't match u either
Coz your name is sexy Sean Rusling
Dale61

Post by Dale61 »

Tests came back positive, and although he wanted to continue playing, the club doctors advised against it.

He should be fine for this week.
Whale
Oil
Beef
Hooked
WKB

Post by WKB »

it's amazing being there then watching the game on tv then seeing the stats. I thought Benny kinnear played well but at times just wasn't holding his marks but in the end he ended up with 9 or 10. Though to be fair gotchy did mention it to him at I think 3 quarter time so I wasn't the only one.

I also though lukey mullins was fantastic but thought jarrad was better but stats proved otherwise. By the by Jarrad is a melton boy used to play with my cousin has the nickname flash and apparantely is well deserved he has always been aware of his talent and not afraid to let people know about it either. Not saying this as a bad thing but he apparentely has always had confidence in spades.

It wasn't till I went home and watched the replay I saw how much of the ball Willo got, thought he was good but not as good as he was.
The one thing I did notice, which sadly has been missing since he was knocked out last year, was his attack on the footy. Head down into packs. Leaping for marks into big packs like he started 2003, long may it continue.

I'm dying to see shacks get better because he is an AFL player no question.

Tex was great it was almost like he is realising that he is an absolute man-mountain and he "pity the fool" who gets in his way.

heath shaw didn't do much but he seems to have that bit of mongrel in him which I like

Brayden impressed me and looks good, could if into the seniors win the brownlow this year (what I'm allowed to make one stupid comment aren't I) but he looks a bit of a rolls royce on the field which isn't something you always equate with the Shaw style of play.

Macca still has something to offer I firmly believe

I think maxwell and crow could make a go of it at afl level without doubt, Maxwell has always reminded me of Shane Morwood, never looks flustered and willing to hold on to the ball until the right option becomes available.
Rizzo32

Post by Rizzo32 »

Dale,

Senior Willi team is listed with the 'froms' on the bench but never a mention of the 2's side at all. Trying to keep a count of them so if you can recall (most of which I get from your 2's pics) through your pics and memory I'd be very greatful :-)
Dale61

Post by Dale61 »

The reserves team is usually made up from the 30-odd players not named in the seniors. They have their regulars - Dukes, Capes, Lawry, Theodore, Butler, Ramsay, McArdle - but some of these players tend to get the odd senior game during the season.

The official Williamstown site doesn't post the reserves team, and the official VFL site sometimes does, but usually later than the senior team postings.

If ever the reserves side is posted elsewhere, I post it on Nick's, as I have done in the past.
Whale
Oil
Beef
Hooked
rand corp

mulling over mullins

Post by rand corp »

Looking at Gotchy's report you would think Mullins must deserve a crack at senior footy and must be close to getting his chance.
Gotch claims it was his best game for Willy, he gathered 30 touches, took seven marks and kicked a goal playing in the middle.

MCG sounds like he must be close too, Brad seems well pleased with the way the defensive side of his game is developing, he had about 21 touches in three quarters of footy and laid 7 tackles.
Only thing holding him back is that he is not getting full games as they try to get his fitness base back up after a serious bout of OP.

The form of Maxwell and King also sounds encouraging and it seems Walker put in a pretty good game in the backline.
Leonard returns this week and if he shows a bit will get played. MM was very impressed with this kid in the preseason. Brayden Shaw is another who looks to have a bit of class, should get a game in the not too distant future if current form persists.

Congratulations to Swanny for making the most of his opportunity over the weekend, looked to have footy smarts, was not intimidated and played like he belonged on the park. Kicked a couple of goals and did more than many outr there.
Johnson#26

Post by Johnson#26 »

Dale, Fanning was a some what surprise selection in the rookie draft. Do you think he could play in the seniors in the next 2 years?
Dale61

Post by Dale61 »

Tough call that one.

He still seems to have a basketball mentality, which helps with his leap but not with his general mobility. His lateral movement needs a bit of work, but he does read the play well, especially when he drops back into the defensive half.

Playing seniors in two years? Anything is possible.
Whale
Oil
Beef
Hooked