What made you happy today? Part II

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

stui magpie
Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 95 times

Post by stui magpie »

Cheers WPT,

It's interesting reading up on the difference between Insulin resistance and the glycemic index and how things that don't register on the glycemic index like artificial sweeteners still trigger an insulin response and are just as bad.

I reckon my timing was perfect doing this, finding the sustainable medium going forward will be the trick.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

At work, thinking of staying away from the ED and Police on a permanent basis. Like the team I’m working with, generally speaking better shifts, and apart from some stupid referrals over the phone I don’t have to put up with some entitled Dr’s and Nurses who want you to deal with their anxiety with dumbass referrals.

For example in the ED: Being anxious over an exam is not acute psychiatry. Crying because a relative has died is normal grief and not psychiatry: no need for an ED assessment, no need to pathologise human emotions. A GP should be able to handle that. At times I used to feel like saying: “I need you to read the entire works of Florence Nightingale or Hippocrates and see how unsuited you are to your chosen profession”. However, on those occasions I’ve resisted temptation
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Loving the weather the past 2 days. Only problem is I've been waiting for the warm weather to do some jobs and when It comes, I just want to relax and enjou it.

Went to Costco yesterday, picked up a pair of shorts and chinos a size smaller than what I normally wear. Both Levis 505's.
They fitted. :D I haven't fitted into an 87cm/34" waist for nearly 30 years.

Got up on the shed roof with the leaf blower and broom, gave it a clean up and mowed the back yard. Once the tip is open I really have some cleaning up to do down the side
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Tannin

Post by Tannin »

stui magpie wrote:Loving the weather the past 2 days. Only problem is I've been waiting for the warm weather to do some jobs and when It comes, I just want to relax and enjou it.
And ain't dat da truuf!
�Let's eat Grandma.� Commas save lives!
think positive
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by think positive »

COOOOLLLLLIIINNNGGGWWWOOOOOOODDDDD!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 118 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

^ Oh yes!
Jezza
Has liked: 176 times
Been liked: 240 times

Post by Jezza »

🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 45 times

Post by David »

Stoked. My dad turned 70 today; couldn’t have asked for a better birthday present!
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Jezza
Has liked: 176 times
Been liked: 240 times

Post by Jezza »

^ Happy Birthday to your father.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
think positive

Post by think positive »

Happy Birthday!

Oh man that picture, can you believe it? Pinch me! I’m sure I’m dreaming!
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 45 times

Post by David »

Thanks both! :) Talked to him on the phone this morning, and he was pretty happy.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

A colleague reached out to me today, she'd spoken to her manager about how busy stuff was going to be over the next few whatevers and asked why someone like me was being let go. Result of that was I got the call asking if I would be interested in hanging around if there was an opportunity. I said I was open to having a chat.

I'll be surprised if anything comes of it, but always nice to know people value what you can do. Good for the self esteem.
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

stui magpie wrote:A colleague reached out to me today, she'd spoken to her manager about how busy stuff was going to be over the next few whatevers and asked why someone like me was being let go. Result of that was I got the call asking if I would be interested in hanging around if there was an opportunity. I said I was open to having a chat.

I'll be surprised if anything comes of it, but always nice to know people value what you can do. Good for the self esteem.
Great stuff mate.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
think positive

Post by think positive »

Yeah well done

Just went through a checkpoint to freedom! We have written permission, can’t leave the boundaries but hey, it smells like freedom for a day or 2! Sleep today work tomorrow! Cheers
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

^
God I want to get out of Melbourne.

Anyway, the Daughter was able to call in and say G'Day. Made my month. :D

She had to visit a client around the corner from my place so was able to pop in. Still did the social distancing, I restrained myself from giving her a hug, but shit it was great to actually see her in person, it's been 10 weeks or more. Late July when she dropped me home from Hospital after surgery.