What made you happy today? Part II

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

stui magpie
Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 95 times

Post by stui magpie »

Hasn't 2020 gone for nearly 10 years on it's own?
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Jezza
Has liked: 175 times
Been liked: 238 times

Post by Jezza »

Pies4shaw wrote:You spent them waiting patiently for Chelsea to sign Kai Havertz. :wink:
Nice one :lol:
stui magpie wrote:Hasn't 2020 gone for nearly 10 years on it's own?
Fair point.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by K »

Jezza wrote:10 years since I joined Nicks! :shock:
Happy anniversary, I guess. Were you reading Nicks before then?
think positive
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by think positive »

K wrote:
probably not, he was just coming out of nappies! Jezza is a baby compared to most of us!!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

Back on the bicycle again. I was doing great guns then lost a toenail on my big toe. Needed to wait a week till it wasn’t tender, then it was too wet to ride then I got slack. Last three days and I’ve got lactic acid to spare. Another few weeks & should be right again. 36 km round trip. About 50 minutes.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
Jezza
Has liked: 175 times
Been liked: 238 times

Post by Jezza »

K wrote:
Yes, since 2008.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 45 times

Post by David »

17+ years for me, which is well over half my life! :o (I think I first came across the site as a preteen reader around 1999/2000.)
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Morrigu

Post by Morrigu »

'World’s loneliest elephant' allowed to leave zoo for better life

Kaavan, who lives in a Pakistani zoo, lost his partner in 2012 and is now medically clear to travel

Dubbed the “world’s loneliest elephant” by his supporters, Kaavan has languished at a zoo in the Pakistani capital of Islamabad for more than 35 years.

Martin Bauer, a spokesman for Four Paws, said on Saturday that the elephant has finally been given medical approval to travel, most likely to Cambodia, where he will find companionship and better conditions.

In May, Pakistan’s high court ordered the Marghazar zoo closed because of its abysmal conditions, which were blamed on systemic negligence.

“Unfortunately, the rescue comes too late for two lions that died during an attempted transfer at the end of July after local animal handlers set a fire in their enclosure to force them into their transport crates,”

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... K34-LirEWA
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
think positive
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by think positive »

about damn time, sad for the poor lions though
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Morrigu

Post by Morrigu »

Thank God!! #****

Zimbabwean government has banned all mining in national parks one day after environmental rights lawyers went to court to bar a Chinese firm from exploring for coal.

Authorities in Zimbabwe had previously granted Chinese-owned Tongmao Coal Company a licence to explore for coal in Hwange National Park.

The government back-tracked on Tuesday and banned all mining in national parks with "immediate effect".

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www.new ... s-20200909
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

^

Noice on both posts.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Meant to post this the other day.

On Saturday, it was too cold and wet to do any gardening so I did some cleaning in the shed. While I was there I found the National radio cassette player I bought from Graham Fellowes at their Swanston St ( I think) store in 1984. I was down in Melbourne for 2 days.

It had detachable speakers which are long gone and RCA input on the back, it was my first amplifier when I moved to Melbourne and attached a CD player to it. 25W per channel.

Anyway, blew the dust off, found another pair of speakers, wired it up and wall mounted the speakers and she works just like a bought one. :D
Sicks Bux

Post by Sicks Bux »

Cleaned up the rubbish on the naturestrip, that blows down from the local shops, and weeded the garden. Just about to jump on to the elliptical trainer for a cardio workout before cooking dinner and then settling in to watch tonight's game. Take that, voice in my head, that says I haven't done anything today. :wink:
Last edited by Sicks Bux on Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

^ Similar: mowed lawn front, back and nature strip including the neighbours front yard and nature strip.

Chickens out & follow Mrs WPT around. Repotting some plants: gorgeous day.

First time in 3 weeks having 2 days off in a row. More O/T this Friday.

Watching our Magpies bathe in the birdbath right in front of the kitchen window, they are so tame and bold. Lovely.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
Morrigu

Post by Morrigu »

Reading this

viewtopic.php?t=87760

lovely pics and lovely stories - nice to smile!