More states legalize Pot 8) when for Oz?

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

When will it be legal here?

Within 2 years
19%
2-5 years
13%
6-10 years
6%
11-20 years
31%
It'll never happen
31%

Total votes: 16

stui magpie
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 95 times

Post by stui magpie »

Nah, I started again a while back.

e-cigs are a great example of why I think there will be serious pushback on legalising dope from the wowser so called health experts
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by K »

Mugwump

Post by Mugwump »

K wrote:https://www.smh.com.au/national/weed-s-ok-for-young-brains-us-study-says-but-our-experts-not-so-sure-20180419-p4zak7.html
Pro-drug propaganda - in music, in film, in comedy and in clickbait headlines like this - is overwhelming. Some very rich people have big plans to make a lot of money from this product, and they are going to win, as they usually do.

The Headline on this article is a classic of the type. The first thing you read is the positive statement - drugs do you no harm. The negative case is smeared in as an afterthought..... as a vague "maybe".

The actual article then shows clearly that the new study on which the "positive" findings are based is practically meaningless, being a "meta-study" with no methodological consistency as to definitions, experimental method, or harm measurement.

And yet, what does it actually find in this methodological soup ?? That there are "significant but small effects" ! The opposite of the headline, with significance being considered the standard of proof in statistical studies of this type. And of course the study says nothing - and can say nothing - of the individual lives wrecked through drugged driving, induced psychosis, or the intellectual and social lethargy and desolated promise that comes through heavy use.

You really could not make it up. We live so soaked in propaganda that we no longer have the faculties to notice it. O Brave New World - Anzacs to Prozacs, in two generations.
Two more flags before I die!
Mugwump

Post by Mugwump »

K

Post by K »

It'd be better if this thread also had the poll question, "should it be legalized?", rather than just an invitation to predict when it might be.
HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

What is it?
think positive
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by think positive »

stui magpie wrote:Nah, I started again a while back.

e-cigs are a great example of why I think there will be serious pushback on legalising dope from the wowser so called health experts
Why? I dont see a connection?
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
K

Post by K »

Mugwump wrote:...
It is certainly interesting that nearly every major terrorist atrocity in Europe, including the recent Westminster case, has been committed by people with a record of heavy cannabis use. It does not prove anything, but it suggests an hypothesis worth testing. The human brain is not designed to be messed about chemicals in this way, so it would be unsurprising if negative effects and structural changes arose with repeated, regular use by vulnerable people.
Is there a reliable source that documents this?

I am also reminded of the claim that every mass murder in the US has been committed by someone who was on prescription mind-altering drugs, such as SSRIs or benzos. Does anyone know if there is a reliable source to back up this separate claim?
Mugwump

Post by Mugwump »

Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 38 times

Post by Skids »

Most pizzas, muffins and chocolate bars are eaten by people who use cannabis regularly ;)
Don't count the days, make the days count.
K

Post by K »

^ I'm reminded of someone once patiently explaining, "Remember that night when we came back all hungry?"
K

Post by K »

Mugwump

Post by Mugwump »

stui magpie
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 95 times

Post by stui magpie »

think positive wrote:
stui magpie wrote:Nah, I started again a while back.

Why? I dont see a connection?
A government review into e-cigarettes decided not to make it legal to purchase syrup with nicotine in it, despite lots of testimony about how much safer they are then normal cigarettes and how well they work for people who want to quit tobacco. The apparent reason pushed by the wowser health brigade was that young people could start with these and graduate to smoking. Fkn ridiculous logic but it worked.

That same logic and the same mob will sink any plan to legalise dope. They don't need to be right, all they have to do is put enough doubt in the minds of enough pollies
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 45 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange