So. What's for Dinner?

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

In any case, What's the best one?
stui magpie
Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 96 times

Post by stui magpie »

Got a leg of lamb and a pork shoulder in the smoker.

This time i put a water pan in the bottom and I'll foil them in an hour or two once they've taken on the smoke from the plum wood.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 38 times

Post by Skids »

stui magpie wrote:Got a leg of lamb and a pork shoulder in the smoker.

This time i put a water pan in the bottom and I'll foil them in an hour or two once they've taken on the smoke from the plum wood.
That sounds yumbo!

I cooked a 3.5kg lamb leg in the weber a few days ago, regularly chucking rosemary branches on the coals.
I marinaded it in; olive oil, garlic (about 6 grated cloves), some chilli and chopped rosemary. Threw in some whole spuds too. Was fantastic.
Don't count the days, make the days count.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

I marinaded the lamb leg in a mix of garlic, rosemary, salt, pepper, white wine and a touch of vingar for 2 hours, then injected some of the marinade into the meat.

Gave the pork a spice rub and injected apple juice into it.

Gave them both another injection after 2 hours in the smoke just before I wrapped them in foil and gave them another 3 hours.

Falling off the bone tender. :D
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
think positive
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by think positive »

Daughters pick because it's her 23rd birthday (god I feel old!) roast potatoes done the way my mum cooked them, simply the best! Salt and pepper squid I make myself, chicken breast with sauce and crispy coating, stir fry Chinese veg in garlic, I bought the cake, she loves Freddo ice cream cake!

Then it will be a glass of red in my lovely warm, clean pool! (it was turning green saturday from neglect in this pathetic summer!)

Bottoms up, cheers!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
ronrat

Post by ronrat »

Beef in Thailand is generally toughand a little fresh. But Imade a casserole with beff chunks, celery, onions, tomatoes, spuds, carrots.peppers. peas and a few spices . On a suggestion I soaked the beef chunks overnight in fresh lime juice. Made some sweet potato mash. The girlfriend and her son loved it and the Thai lady next polished off a bowl. Except for high end steak house the best beef for tenderness I have ever had here.

We eat mainly porkm chicken or fish here so beef or lamb is a treat, It is a joy having a fresh food marhet (get stuffed Safeway) 2 minutes walk away.
Annoying opposition supporters since 1967.
think positive

Post by think positive »

Interesting, did the lemon juice help a lot and how did it taste?

Can't beat a fresh food market that's for sure
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 46 times

Post by David »

Somehow fluked an excellent apple crumble last night, using the (somewhat sour and worm-chewed) apples from the backyard. Spent 45 minutes just on peeling and chopping the apples, then burnt by finger badly on the oven and managed to turn the crumble into a weird cake mix that wouldn't even cover the apples properly. End result was great, though!
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

ronrat wrote:Beef in Thailand is generally toughand a little fresh. But Imade a casserole with beff chunks, celery, onions, tomatoes, spuds, carrots.peppers. peas and a few spices . On a suggestion I soaked the beef chunks overnight in fresh lime juice. Made some sweet potato mash. The girlfriend and her son loved it and the Thai lady next polished off a bowl. Except for high end steak house the best beef for tenderness I have ever had here.

We eat mainly porkm chicken or fish here so beef or lamb is a treat, It is a joy having a fresh food marhet (get stuffed Safeway) 2 minutes walk away.
You may have fluked that one. Lime juice will "cook" the meat, so not recommended to marinate for more than 2 hours.

https://whatscookingamerica.net/MarinatingSafely.htm
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Scratched together a grazing plate out of the fridge.

Cold chicken
hard boiled egg
chili cornichons
asparagus
cheese
Lime and chili shapes (didn't have any BBQ ones)
luvdids

Post by luvdids »

stui magpie wrote:Scratched together a grazing plate out of the fridge.

Cold chicken
hard boiled egg
chili cornichons
asparagus
cheese
Lime and chili shapes (didn't have any BBQ ones)
Shame :wink:
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Pan fried Swordfish steaks tonight. never eaten them before. Not bad.

Very mild in flavour and a cross between chicken and fish in texture.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

tonight did a Jamaican chicken curry with rice & beans.

Very mild curry, sweet potato, green beans and carrots in that, coconut milk in the rice.

1 year old thought it was yum, as did the others.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Cooked a leg of lamb in the smoker yesterday. led to an argument with mum who thought cooking in the smoker took longer (correct if you do low and slow) and completely forgot I told her I was going to crank the heat up so the temperature would be more like an oven, so quicker.

Then when i said I cooked it at around 150c for 2 hours she reckoned that wasn't hot enough, she used to cook lamb at 200c. I politely pointed out I didn't do cremated lamb.

Came out perfect after resting for an hour. :D

So tonight is fried sausages (on the grill pan that leaves char lines and drains fat away) and salad.
think positive

Post by think positive »

Last night I cooked a modified version of the smashed potato thing that n Facebook. Boil baby spuds with skins, smack em with the bottom of a heavy glass or cup, spray with olive oil, chuck em in a hot oven (I added some cauliflower with a little pink salt and cinnamon) Also, chopped up zucchini pumpkin tomatoes red onions, spray, salt and pepper, cinnamon, spray again, put on bottom shelf. When the potatoes have crispy bits, swap the shelves, turn off fan forced, lower to 180, put some garlic, chilli flakes, and light cheese on top of potatoes and cauliflower, put on bottom shelf. Cook some thickly sliced chicken breast, marinated in olive oil with chilli, splash with lime juice, and some soy sauce, on the BBQ, on hot plate, turn it down close lid for about 4 min, flip over, close lid another 3 min, let rest while you dish up the veg. Everybody yummed it. I cooked 6 breasts enough for dinner, lunches andthe dogs! I thought there was enough veggies for lunches but they got eaten first! So glad I finally trained them all to likeveggies, combined we are down 21kg since Christmas! And that's with my sticky date and cookie dough protein balls for desserts!