So. What's for Dinner?

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

stui magpie
Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 95 times

Post by stui magpie »

yeah, the schools have a conniption if kids leave the grounds these days. Very sad.

Anyway. tonight I've made a beef and mushroom ragout in the slow cooker. To go with it is some brown rice and lentils, mashed sweet potato and mixed steamed greens with butter (Broccoli, Beans, Spinach, Zucchini)

Dinner tonight and food for a couplea days, bewdiful.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

stui magpie wrote:yeah, the schools have a conniption if kids leave the grounds these days. Very sad.

Anyway. tonight I've made a beef and mushroom ragout in the slow cooker. To go with it is some brown rice and lentils, mashed sweet potato and mixed steamed greens with butter (Broccoli, Beans, Spinach, Zucchini)

Dinner tonight and food for a couplea days, bewdiful.
Yum. Youngest made. Vegan Lasagne tonight. Tasty but could've done with a large side of beef ragout
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
think positive
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 91 times

Post by think positive »

I made roasted cauliflower soup, which is surprisingly yum, and beef stroganoff from the 12WBT program, not bad. Well I liked it, and I get eldest's for lunch tomorrow!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
watt price tully

Last night made DIY Tandoori chicken with Mint coriander chilli relish & with assistance from my youngest Ginger cake with lemon pistachio icing. From Neil Perry in the Sunday Age.

http://www.goodfood.com.au/good-food/co ... 3yf0u.html
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
stui magpie
Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 95 times

Post by stui magpie »

Made up a Moroccan vegetable stew, and got a whole boneless chicken that I cooked in a Tagine.

Picked up the Tagine from Aldi, it's a variant in that the bottom is actually a cast iron grill plate but the lid (that resembles a witches hat) is ceramic. Chicken came up an absolute ripper. :D That dodgy looking lid really focuses the steam and juice back through the meat, only had it on low on the small range.

Knock up a bit of couscous in a minute to have with it.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Dangles

Post by Dangles »

Garden salad with tofu.
watt price tully

Mrs WPT & I went out to Gyoza Gyoza in Chadstone.

Good Japanese, basic but tasty. Tapas style fare. Small dishes at about $6.50 each

Service was OK but not as bad as some reviewers experienced.

Had dishes like:

1. Tempura veges
2. Tempura Prawns
3. Gyoza fried (veg)
4. Gyoza (steamed) chicken & lemongrass in a spicy miso broth (had chilli oil it it)
5. Lamb ribs on a hot plate - tiny bits lots of em
6. Cauliflower in a spicy like batter
7. Tofu initially deep fried then served sauce in a seaweed like broth
8. Pickled vege salad
watt price tully

Made a Cauliflower & Carraway seed soup tonight. Very nice.

Had: Cauliflower, caraway seeds, potato, a few cauli leaves, onion, paprika & a bit of cayenne pepper, a zucchini & some celery & zapped up.

1 x cauliflower cut into florets & 3/4 teaspoon of caraway seeds pan fried slowly making it brown.(a bit of olive oil & nutalex magarine)

1/2 onion diced & celery stick finely diced & also pan fried slowly with the spices

1 spud & 1 zucchini cut into pieces

Place all the ingredients into a pot. Add salt / pepper

Enough water to cover the veg. Cook up & liquidize.

Suitable for vegans.

Heat & serve with chopped parsley
Dark Beanie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Dark Beanie »

Last night used the Campbells Asian soup base to make a Thai style soup.

Cook chicken, add soup base, some vegies and rice noodles.
Quick and easy, especially for days when everyone is either at work or school.
If you are foolish enough to be contented, don't show it, but just grumble with the rest. - Jerome K Jerome
Dangles

Post by Dangles »

All Bran. I couldn't be bothered cooking.
watt price tully

Tofu burgers, hummus, salads & the freshest of large pita from the Oasis bakery:

Ingredients:

Tofu,
Fresh lebanese Pita
1 onion
two large sticks of celery
2 cloves of garlic
tamari or soy sauce
Hummus (israeli is the best tasting if ur supermarket has it)
salad veg: lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, red capsicum, finely grated carrot, tin beetroot
relish

Method

750 grams of organic Tofu: take out of pkt, drain liquid then put the two pieces on a clean tea towel, wrap them in the tea towel so there not touching then place a weight on them like tin food so that the weight causes us them to drain the excess liquid (about 20 mins)into the tea towel.

Meanwhile, get 1 good size oinion & finely dice, do the same to two good lengths of celery. Frying a pan with two pressed good size garlic cloves. Fry up slowly in olive & butter or marg. 10 - 15 mins.

Then unwrap the tofu & grate on the fine grater - place in a large mixing bowl.
Add the cooked onions, celery & garlic. Add a good amount of soy sauce or tamari. Add an beaten egg & mix together to combine all ingredients.

Leave in the fridge for about 1/2 hour.

Meanwhile cut up lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, grated carrot, have some relish ready, hummus & we also had tabouli. Have ready for people to self serve.

Then get a large plate & a bowl of warm water & the mix.

Place hands in water, drain off, scoop up a small amount in your hands & shape into a pattie. Be careful as they can they easily crumble. Place on a plate or plates & repeat same over till finished. Don't worry if they do, most don't

Place oil in pan, heat & place patties in frypan. Cook till golden brown on both sides.

Get the large pita, peel 1/2 away, place on plate & make your own wraps.

Yummy, fresh & tasty as well as left overs for lunch the next day. Nice for a change.
Tannin

Post by Tannin »

�Let's eat Grandma.� Commas save lives!
think positive

Post by think positive »

watt price tully wrote:Last night made DIY Tandoori chicken with Mint coriander chilli relish & with assistance from my youngest Ginger cake with lemon pistachio icing. From Neil Perry in the Sunday Age.

http://www.goodfood.com.au/good-food/co ... 3yf0u.html
Thanks for the link, came up a treat , (even I couldn't screw it up!)

[snip] wedding tonight, can't wait for the food, got to love a [snip] wedding!
think positive

Post by think positive »

WTF? W.O. G. Gets snipped! Hahahahaah
think positive

Post by think positive »