Part 3: Bucky's Friday match-ups for big grand final clash.

All things Williamstown - once Collingwood's VFL partner.

Moderator: bbmods

Heath Buck

Part 3: Bucky's Friday match-ups for big grand final clash.

Post by Heath Buck »

Well well well!

Michael Malthouse has pulled one of the biggest surprises of the season by naming Leon Davis in Collingwood's team for the preliminary final on Saturday. This selection would have certainly thrown a 'spanner in the works' of the Williamstown match committee as they now have some tough decisions to make to try and restructure their team to combat the pace of the Box Hill hawks.

Williamstown have now lost two of their quickest players-Davis and Holland- from last weeks preliminary final and get back two tallish players in Walker and Williams. There is little doubt that Brad Gotch will now need to promote at least one-if not two- speedsters from the reserves which will mean some players will make way for their inclusion. Sheehan and Hill appear the likely additions while unfortunately for Nick Maxwell he seems to be the one that might miss out. This would be devastating for the kid but in grand finals where the stakes are high and match-ups are so important there are always tough decisions to be made.

Here are some more match ups which I think will be important to the outcome of the game.

SAM CRANAGE V MATTHEW SMITH- Cranage has been in devastating form across half back in the second half of the season and his run and ball winning out of defence is crucial to the make up of Williamstown's game plan. Look for Libba to use a forward-believe it or not- to tag Cranage and try and work him away from the contest. Matthew Smith might be the man as he has played tagging roles before and was quite effective playing as a small forward against Werribee in the second half a couple of weeks ago.

GLEN FREEBORN\DANE SWAN V RICK LADSON- Rick Ladson has been a damaging player around the midfeild with his pace and lethal left foot in recent weeks but it wouldn't surprise to see him start forward on Sunday as he showed last week when thrown into forward line he is fast on a lead and good overhead for his size. Glen Freeborn appears the likely choice as he has the experience in big games, covers the ground quite well and has shut down players in the past. If Ladson does start around the centre area look for Dane Swan to run with him. The only problem with this match-up would be taking away one of your ball winners - Swan- to perform a negating role.

MICHAEL RIX V GUY RICHARDS- Guy Richards has come on in leaps and bounds this year and his ruck work is improving as well as his ability to win possessions around the gound. His improvement in the ruck has meant that Cloke and McKee have been able to play in key positions. The unearthing of Rix in the last fortnight has been a huge bonus for the Box Hill Hawks as it has meant that Loats can play predominantly as a forward and Roberet Campbell who has suffered from soft tissue injuries in the finals can be rotated from the bench in short bursts either as a forward or relieving Rix in the ruck. Whoever gets on top in this clash will really help their team as the struggling ruckman will force their team to restrcture.

DOUG SCOTT V CAMERON CLOKE- Scott the son Hawthorn great Don has been a revelation in the final series for the Box Hill Hawks making the centre half back position his own. He was the Hawk's best player the last time they met when the Seagulls thumped them in the first final and did a reasonable job playing on Cameron Cloke. Cloke's debut year has been extraordinary considering it usually takes players of his size an eternity to develop. He is smart, brave and skillful but needs to have an impact early as he has struggled to work into games when he has been down early. In saying that though he was inspirational when moved into the ruck last week in the final quarter after being beaten earlier.

BRAD LLOYD V TIM CLARKE- Mr. Consistency Brad Lloyd has had a superb season controlling the centre squrae area with a minimum of fuss. Not overly blessed with natural pace he is brilliant around the stoppages where he has the uncanny ability to get his hands on the footy and feeds it out to his fleet footed teammates. He works beautifully in tandom with his partner in crime Adrian Fletcher. It's a fair bet that The Hawk's Tim Clarke will go head to head with Llyod. Clarke is pure athlete and has the capacity to run and run all day. Look for Clarke to try and exploit Lloyds lack of leg speed when the Hawk's have possession of the ball. This contest is giong to a beauty to watch.

I would just like to finish by saying that this shapes as being one of the most intriguing grand finals because of the different styles of play these two geat sides.

Unfortunately for myself I have ties at both Willy and the Hawks so either way a loss is going to leave me feeling shallow and a win is going to make me extremely happy. That's the way footy goes sometimes.

Good Luck Seagulls

Heath Buck
Stereo 974 Football
Mick Gallus

Match ups

Post by Mick Gallus »

Bucky,

I agree with you and I reckon Tom Hill, Brendan Hollow and Leigh Sheehan are in the mix with the pace of the Hawk midfield.

Expect Hill to play and maybe Hollow or Sheehan as well.

As you say probably Maxwell or Richo or Shackleton to miss out as either too tall and slow for Optus Oval on a sunny still day.

Collingwood may make some changes on Saturday which will also change the Williamstown side.

Bring it on!!!!!!!
Mick Gallus
Football Comentator
Stereo 974 (97.4FM)