Williamstown Vs Box Hill

All things Williamstown - once Collingwood's VFL partner.

Moderator: bbmods

Gulls

Post by Gulls »

It is true Williamstown is playing Box Hill Hawks at Box Hill @ 2pm. Saw it on the VFL site. A have sent an e-mail to the contact address at the VFL expressing concern about the venue for next week. I believe we would have a bigger crowd, better facilities, and with the weather predicted - a better playing surface for the players.

Tess if you have any concerns I suggest you e-mail the VFL direct and ask them to explain their decision
Dale61

Post by Dale61 »

Yep, this is true.

I heard it from a club official yesterday, even before the game had commenced. There was talk at the ground that maybe Williamstown should think about resting most of their gun players as much as possible, even if it meant letting Bendigo win.

For those that don't know the final score, Williamstown, in swamp-like conditions, belted the Bombers - 13-14-92 to 1-8-14. Goalkickers were Baldwin 5, Lloyd 2, Freeborn 2, Cloke, Mahoney, Davis and Hollow. I couldn't really pick best players because I couldn't work out who was who after the first 15 minutes. (You will see what I mean once I've posted the pics.)

So, with Williamstown now playing at Box Hill next Saturday (as are the reserves, apparently), looks as though Saturday nights meet-and-greet is now off my agenda. Sorry Tess, but as I have to work on Sunday, a lateish night just wont work for me.
Whale
Oil
Beef
Hooked
paulie

Post by paulie »

I am thinking about going to Box Hill next Saturday as I have to work Friday Nite so I will miss the senior game. :x Is the ground far from the Railway station is it staggering distance?? :P Would be a nice way to kick off our september campign especially against a mob coached by that dirty little so and so Libba!!!! :evil:
Dale61

Post by Dale61 »

Easier said than done Tess. As I'll be travelling on the supporters bus, I don't have any say on where we turn.

It's also been mentioned that the reserves will also play their first final at Box Hill, so all the boys will get a run on the same day.
Whale
Oil
Beef
Hooked
molloymagic

Post by molloymagic »

I to am confused about why Williamstown didn't get a 'home' final. oh well,hope they do well.

*if anyone is interested,the Tasmanian Devils,beat Box Hill on the weekend and will play in the finals. Its a history making result*S*. Who knows,i may even go to this game,this saturday.*
Jarrod Molloy
*'94-03:10 Gr8 yrs*
*169 Games* *'02 V.C*
*2nd in '01 copeland
Dale61

Post by Dale61 »

molloymagic, the reason has been explained by Tessa in the very first post of this topic.

The way it has worked out is that the VFL already knew, before the season started, that Box Hill's 1000th league game would be the first week of finals, and therefore, had already promised them a home game to celebrate this milestone.
Whale
Oil
Beef
Hooked
Dale61

Post by Dale61 »

VFL finals week 1

SATURDAY
First qualifying final: Port Melbourne v Sandringham, TEAC Oval @ 1.10pm
Second qualifying final: Williamstown v Box Hill Hawks, City Oval @ 2pm
First elimination final: Tasmania v Geelong, Bellerive Oval @ 2pm
SUNDAY
Second elimination final: Springvale v Werribee, TEAC Oval @ 1.10pm
Whale
Oil
Beef
Hooked
M@®©

Post by M@®© »

who gives a toss that its there 1000th game that is just stupid imagine the uproar if it was the AFL and say Port lost there 1st home final due to the 4th place team playing there 1500th game ... i just hope willy win and damper there 1000th celebrations and stick it up them
Greg J

Post by Greg J »

I might turn up too Paulie, so keep an eye out for me.

Looks like we aligned with the right VFL team if this decision is any indication of how the people who run their league treat their great club. Another free kick paid against us (or not paid) either way they seem to screw us whenever they get the chance.
Scooby Doo says "I've been to Lexus too."
Melsa5

Post by Melsa5 »

The quickest way to get there by train is to get on the Belgrave/Lilydale line.

Hop off at Laburnum Station. Walk towards Maroondah Highway, turn left and the ground is diagonally opposite.

Should only take you 5 mins to get there.

Its going to be huge!
Davros

Post by Davros »

Dale61

Post by Dale61 »

Rupe had a bit of soreness on the morning of the game, so due to the condition of the ground, it was best to leave him out.

Richo's ankle must be worse than originally diagnosed as he has not been named in this weeks team.

I have posted the team, as named, in another forum, so any and all game comments can be posted there.
Whale
Oil
Beef
Hooked