Next Match vs Sandringham - Sunday June 8 @ 2pm. (UPDATE)

All things Williamstown - once Collingwood's VFL partner.

Moderator: bbmods

Dale61

Next Match vs Sandringham - Sunday June 8 @ 2pm. (UPDATE)

Post by Dale61 »

The Seagulls and the Zebras clash in what will be the match of the round at Sandringham.

The Seagulls are in hot form at the moment, with their unbeaten run now stretching to 6 games as they occupy second place on the TXU-VFL ladder.

Sandringham are in fourth place, after a hard fought victory over North Ballarat away from home. The Zebras losses this season have been to Bendigo Bombers in round 1 and the top of the table Box Hill Hawks.

The Seagull's only loss came in round 3 to Port Melbourne and will be keen to hold onto second spot on the ladder entering into their Round 11 clash with Box Hill.
Last edited by Dale61 on Fri Jun 06, 2003 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whale
Oil
Beef
Hooked
Danzy Rocks!!!

Post by Danzy Rocks!!! »

I'm there... CARN ZEBRAS!!

(sorry, local team, I'll be supporting our players as well!)
Dale61

Team v Sandringham

Post by Dale61 »

This weeks team has been announced:

B: Cole ~ West ~ Prestigiacomo
HB: Lokan ~ Dukes ~ Betheras
C: Scotland ~ Fletcher ~ Nixon
HF: Swan ~ Kinnear ~ Mahoney
F: Didak ~ Baldwin ~ Freeborn
R: McKee ~ McGough ~ Lloyd
Inter from: C.Cloke ~ Cranage ~ Eichner ~ Hollow
Mullins ~ Pearce ~ Ramsay ~ Richards ~ Runnalls
Shackleton ~ Sheehan ~ Smoker
Whale
Oil
Beef
Hooked
fan4collingwood

Post by fan4collingwood »

WOW....and players left to play for Collingwood?

Didak, Presti, Cole , Mckee, Lokan..........I am thinking that some of these will line up for the pies......would that be correct?
ramjet21

Post by ramjet21 »

at least for a change we'll have an idea of the senior side the night before. although that forster-knight fella at essendon played in both the vfl and seniors last week.
Nova Kaine

Post by Nova Kaine »

What's funny is that we had a team down here called the "Seagulls" and being Magpies supporters we hated them. Would be hard supporting a team called Seagulls.

Go Willi!

Althought ABC-TV hasn't shown a Williamstown game since we player Port Melbourne will ABC-Tasmania anyways...
"The minute you start talking about what you're going to do if you lose, you have lost."
Danzy Rocks!!!

Post by Danzy Rocks!!! »

Willi won. 104 - 123
Danzy Rocks!!!

Post by Danzy Rocks!!! »

Betheras the thug was reported, and probably a few others for a melee (sp?) during the match... I've never abused him but today i had to :oops:

West was pretty good... Cam Cloke... McGough.. wasn't paying heaps of attention to Willi as I was supporting Sandy. Clinton Runnalls was also good but he's not one of ours.

The ressies won as well, can;t remember the scores but it was by a few.
Dale61

Post by Dale61 »

That is a great result, considering the importance of the game. The Gulls have now won 7 on the trot, making next Saturdays match against Box Hill a proverbial blockbuster, with the winner claiming top spot on the ladder. A Box Hill win will see them remain unbeaten, whilst a Williamstown win will see them take top spot on percentage. (This statement is dependant on Box Hill beating Bendigo today.)

With Collingwood having the break next week, there is no excuse for no having a huge crowd in attendance. Also, this is the ABC-TV match, which means it will be a 1pm start.

(I seem to be a week ahead of myself with the split round. Collingwood do play this week, v Hawthorn, but on Sunday. Doh!)
Last edited by Dale61 on Mon Jun 09, 2003 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whale
Oil
Beef
Hooked
foxy

Post by foxy »

my report:

mckee played & scotland didn't. even without their highest possie-getter from last week willi still played great footy and beat sandy (a decently placed team) by about 4 goals. the third quarter was the decider - great footy by willi saw them run away to a 5 goal lead at three quarter time.

it was a very entertaining match overall. skills were poor in the first quarter, but the second quarter was a blinder. rupe was reported after lightly bumping a sandy player and the resultant 50 turned into a goal. as soon as the sandy player kicked the goal, about 15 sandy guys ran straight at rupe and suddenly it was ON. a good old-fashioned brawl. it was a bit of a wake-up call for willi as they really stepped up and played some very decent footy for the next two quarters.

by the way, i saw a bit of the ressies (they won comfortably) and from all reports roe was very impressive. i kept an eye on david king & eichner and was quietly impressed. king tends to get lost a bit but every touch he got was classy. eichner looked pretty solid down back, rebounded nicely a couple of times and he has a MASSIVE leap.

anyway, back to our willi senior players:

freeza - another solid game. a very important player in the willi lineup; constantly drops into perfect defensive spots and takes good marks. most of his kicks were decent as well.

rupe - any other player would've been genuinely rattled by that report & resultant brawl in the second quarter. but he really bounced back superbly in the second half. impressed everyone with his sheer determination. kicked a classic rupe snap goal in the second quarter as well. one of willi's best.

stunning - started in defence and switched into the ruck occasionally. didn't do much but was alright.

bo - solid enough to hold his spot. played the whole game in defence and didn't make a mistake.

richards - another decent game in the ruck. started to find the ball around the ground a bit and looked much more confident with his kicking. also gotta couple of great taps in the middle of the ground. getting better every week.

MCG - after a woeful turnover in the first quarter he was benched, but after quarter time he was GREAT. his third quarter was amazing; kicked two freakish snap goals from both boundaries and gave willi plenty of drive with sharp hands. looked the goods.

kinnear - starred again at CHF. really stepped up after the second quarter brawl and kicked an unbelieveable & vital goal from the boundary - he was about 45 out and somehow dribbled it through. the crowd went wild! ended up with maybe 4/5 goals & constantly provided a good contest.

mullins - started on a wing and didn't find too much of the ball. his second game in the willi seniors this year i think, and will be better for the exposure.

c. cloke - started at full-forward (i think), and played second fiddle to richards in the ruck. has dropped away slightly the last few weeks, but still did some good things today.

swan - best game i've seen him play. looked amazingly settled in defence and constantly provided crisp rebounding. great to see him so confident with the ball. all his kicks were SHARP. very impressive.

shaks - again, probably in the best players. started out very well and maintained his intensity throughout the game. i like him.
Molly

Post by Molly »

yeah it was a great game to watch - close to half time then we managed to break free in the 3rd quarter. foxy's pretty much summed it up, but geez swan was good today - i was really impressed, and some of the goal kicking by mcg and kinner was amazing!

Cant wait for the big one next week - shld be great!!
zoia

Post by zoia »

dont we play box hill next week at box hill
fan4collingwood

Post by fan4collingwood »

Foxy, how do you think the rupe will go on his report??
Was it a slight bumping or is he a thug?

I love watching him play, and hope he is back in Collingwood's side very soon.
Dale61

Post by Dale61 »

Williamstown play Box Hill at Point Gellibrand Oval next week. Being the ABC-TV game, the match will kick-off at 1.10pm, with coverage, I assume, to Vic and Tas, and Stereo 974FM will also broadcast the game.

I'll be there, and I'll post pics soon after the game ends.
Whale
Oil
Beef
Hooked
Dale61

Post by Dale61 »

Match details:

Scores:
W: 5.2.32 ~ 10.2.62 ~ 16.5.95 ~ 19.9.123
S: 4.1.25 ~ 9.2.56 ~ 11.3.69 ~ 16.8.104

Goals: Kinnear 5, Mahoney 3, Baldwin 2, Betheras 2, McGough 2, Runnalls 2, Ramsay, Swan, Smoker.

Best: Kinnear, McGough, Mahoney, Betheras, Swan, Hollow.

Reserves:

Scores:
W: 3.0.18 ~ 9.5.59 ~ 13.9.87 ~ 18.12.120
S: 3.2.20 ~ 6.6.42 ~ 9.9.63 ~ 10.14.74

Goals: Uhi 7, Laverde 3, Hill 2, Anderson, Eichner, King, Kelly, Sheehan, Theodore.

Best: Jarrad, Uhi, McArdle, Sheehan, Laverde, Kelly.
Whale
Oil
Beef
Hooked