Next match- v Coburg @ Williamstown 1 June 2pm - UPDATED

All things Williamstown - once Collingwood's VFL partner.

Moderator: bbmods

Dale61

Next match- v Coburg @ Williamstown 1 June 2pm - UPDATED

Post by Dale61 »

Team line-up

B: Freeborn ~ West ~ Walker
HB: Betheras ~ Kinnear ~ Cranage
C: Scotland ~ Fletcher ~ Nixon
HF: McGough ~ Cloke ~ Shackleton
F: Richardson ~ Baldwin ~ Runnalls
R: McKee ~ Lloyd ~ Mahoney
Int: Anderson ~ Dukes ~ Pearce ~ Ramsay
Richards ~ Sheehan ~ Smoker ~ Swan
Last edited by Dale61 on Sun Jun 01, 2003 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whale
Oil
Beef
Hooked
Greg J

Post by Greg J »

Tah, Dale.

I think I might attend. I know you don't necessarily attend away games, but if you are there I'll say hi.
Scooby Doo says "I've been to Lexus too."
Greg J

Post by Greg J »

Ignore that last bit, the games is at Willy. I might still attend, but it is less likely.
Scooby Doo says "I've been to Lexus too."
Dale61

Seagulls make it 6 wins in a row.

Post by Dale61 »

Williamstown have extended their win streak to 6 after beating Coburg earlier today.

Although not as impressive as previous wins, The Gulls did enough to ensure the result of this danger game was always going to go their way.

Mark Richardson again was the focal point up forward with another 5 goal haul, but his report for an alleged headbutt will cause some anxious moments during the week leading up to the Sandringham match next weekend.

My better players on the day were Adrian Fletcher, Richo, Mark McGough, Heath Scotland, Sam Cranage, Troy West and Ben Kinnear. A special mention must be said of Jeremy Dukes who always attacks the ball at 100% without concern for his body. A more straight ahead player you'll never see.

Scores:
Will: 3.2.20 ~ 7.3.45 ~ 14.7.91 ~ 16.9.105
Cob: 2.4.16 ~ 4.4.28 ~ 6.4.40 ~ 9.8.62

Goals: Richardson 5, Kinnear 3, Baldwin 2, Mahoney 2, Smoker, Shackleton, Betheras, Runnalls.

Best: Scotland, Richardson, Swan, Fletcher, Freeborn, Betheras.

RESERVES:
Will: 21.16.142
Cob: 7.9.51

Goals: Ramsay 5, Roe 5, Hill 3, Knight, Sheehan, Towner, King, Mullins, Lawry, Kelly, Eichner.

Best: McArdle, Ramsay, Mullins, Ralph, King, Hill.
Last edited by Dale61 on Thu Jun 05, 2003 7:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Whale
Oil
Beef
Hooked
scoobydoo
Been liked: 5 times

Post by scoobydoo »

Dale just a couple of questions how did Nixon & Shackelton play? I was listening to the game for a while & there was a passage of play that involved Shackelton.The guy's doing the comments said he looks good but needed to loose weight,also who do u think is progressing better/quicker C.Cloke or Richards
gogulls

Post by gogulls »

Great pics Dale. I think I saw you there clicking away at the huddle at quarter time. It was not the best game the gulls have played but a win is a win.

Bad luck for Tex Walker who I believe has a serious achilles injury.

Richo is going great guns, 14 goals in 3 games if I am correct. Does anyone think he still has some AFL games to play.

Even Guy Richards did some good things today when he got the opportunity. Think Shack is coming along nicely of late.

Looking forward to seeing more of those pics Dale
Dale61

Post by Dale61 »

Firstly to scoobydoo, Nixon was steady although not prominent. He still needs a little work on his decision making when under pressure, but makes up for it in his tenacity. Is predominantly a left sided player, so has to put in some work on his right before he takes the next step.

Shack was on and off the ground due to an early head wound that wouldn't stop bleeding. In fact, I think he may have broken his nose as his bandages seemed to indicate.

I don't think his weight is much of an issue at the moment. He uses it to his advantage when tackling (and believe me when I say the opposition know it when Shack lays a tackle) and he has finally got his aerobic fitness to a level that he can now compete at 100% whenever he is on the ground.

Re Cloke and Richards: you need to keep in mind that Guy suffered a near-career ending complaint to his kidney and is only now starting to get back to the level he was pre-injury. In comparison, Cam would have to have the edge at this stage as he covers the ground a lot better, is better overhead and makes life difficult for opposition ruckmen due to his bigger build. I don't think Richards is capable of putting on much more weight, so if anything, this will be his downfall.

Now, to answer gogulls questions. Whoever you saw in the huddle wasn't me as I tend to sit near the boundary just inside the entry gate. I have found that this tends to be the best place to take pics due to sun position etc, (not that there was any sun today), but as today was so overcast and dark (and wet), I found that the auto setting on my camera was having trouble making the necessary adjustments in the time needed to get the shot off.

I didn't know about Tex's injury, but now that you mention it, I didn't see much of him after quarter time. When did this injury occur?

As I mentioned re the weather, I don't have any more pics of todays game as every time I started to take pics, it started to rain. I know it was just a slight drizzle, but I've seen what happens when electronics get wet and the camera is too expensive to allow that to happen. Too cautious, maybe, but there weren't too many other cameras about where I was sitting.
Whale
Oil
Beef
Hooked
foxy

Post by foxy »

my report, as posted on Hotrod's board:

pretty solid win from willi after coburg kept in touch for much of the first half. 3rd quarter from willi was great.

our guys:

richo - probably BOG. kicked 5 goals and set up a heap. took a few real solid marks, though looked slow as ever. started out very fired up in the first quarter.

freeza - started out pretty average, but his 3rd quarter was great and by the end of the game i really thought he'd found some touch. provided heaps of dash and most of his disposals were nice. also showed a heap of courage with about 10 minutes to go in the game; backed back into a running coburg player to contest, got hammered but jumped straight back up.

rupe - that mark in the first quarter was pure rupe. looked classy at times but didn't have a huge impact on the game.

bo - not too bad. as ram said, all his touches seemed classy. some good tackling.

richards - by the end of the game i think he cemented his spot as first ruck ahead of c.cloke. cameron started out in the ruck but richards replaced him midway through the first quarter and never looked back. his second half tapwork was great. around the ground he was largely unsighted, though he found space well a few times and always tried to provide an option. really does have a great leap. mind you, i think his coburg opponent was pretty crap.

MCG - quiet first half, but really had an impact after half time. showed his beautiful hands a couple of times and even some of his kicking was nice, including a deadset blinder lace-out onto richo's (maybe kinnear's?) chest. should be considered.

kinnear - again, looked the goods. kicked some ripper goals including a trademark running goal from the boundary. has real presence at CHF at this level. but no spot for him in the seniors.

heath - decent, and seemed to be finding some real touch in the second half. on occasion he couldn't adjust his kicking to suit the wind. but most of his possies were classy.

shak - the story of the day, no doubt. he's an absolute tank and he tackles like a maniac. thought his second quarter was GREAT. drifted outta the game towards the end (think he was on the bench), but certainly had a real impact when it mattered. showed some REALLY sharp hands at times and his kicking was decent enough. also finds space nicely. something to work with.

c.cloke - his form has dropped off. was beaten in quite a few marking contests and ended up playing at full-back in the last quarter.

tex - injured early in the first quarter. achilles problem?

swan - played most of the game in defence. i think he was meant to play a quarterback kinda role but he just doesn't find the ball enough for a small man. and some of his kicking was poor in the first half. also missed one or two shots at goal.

ben holland played for coburg and didn't do much. willi's really lookin the goods this year. fletcher is still starring. never wastes it. it's also great to see that our guys really look like they enjoy playing for willi. can't see them being beaten anytime soon.
scoobydoo

Post by scoobydoo »

Thanks Dale that was great
scoobydoo

Post by scoobydoo »

kinnear - again, looked the goods. kicked some ripper goals including a trademark running goal from the boundary. has real presence at CHF at this level. but no spot for him in the seniors.
I didnt know Benny Kinear had 'ANY' trademarks
foxy

Post by foxy »

ha scooby. at VFL level kinnear has a knack of kicking ripper goals. he really looks a force when he's playing for willi. but he's still pretty shit.
scoobydoo

Post by scoobydoo »

just jokin foxy,when i was listening to the game i heard that he had kicked a great goal from the boundry line,well i almost fell(slid) of the couch & knocked the billly over!but your right at that level its a different ball game.
Dale61

Post by Dale61 »

Benny's 'ripper' goal was kicked from in front of where I was sitting, and as it left his foot, it was obvious what the outcome was going to be. I just laughed and shook my head in amazement at how easy he made it look.

Maybe his immediate future is with a VFL side (and the way he is currently playing, I would prefer it be with Williamstown) as he seems to be on a level playing field, but his lack of pace will see him struggle at the next level.

It is a shame really, because he is putting in the effort required for promotion but I feel as though he no longer has the tools required to be an AFL player.

I am waiting to hear how Scooter pulled up as I noticed he jarred his 'problem' knee midway through the first quarter. He did play out the game but showed some concern at several stages during the match.
Whale
Oil
Beef
Hooked
Hanskies

Post by Hanskies »

Heard Cam got hit- what happened there????
Dale61

Post by Dale61 »

Dunno. Didn't even know of another report until after the game. Ben Holland got reported for a late shepherd, but it didn't seem to have any effect on Cam as he played out the whole game. It must have happened at the scoreboard end of the ground as I missed the incident.
Whale
Oil
Beef
Hooked