So. What's for Dinner?

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

Post by 5150 »

Peter Griffin wrote:
5150 wrote:King Island porterhouse steaks from Coles.

Do yourself a favour and pay the little bit extra.
I'm with you, dude. I think that goes for most things too. Anything from King Island makes me swoon.
Even the kelp sounds cool.

http://www.kip.com.au/kikelp.htm

Bull Kelp Durvillaea potatorum grows prolifically on the reefs surrounding King Island, where the brown leathery fronds grow to a spectacular 8m. During storms, kelp plants are torn from the rocks and cast on the beaches. Such is the tenacious grip of the kelp "hold fast" or root, that often a piece of granite is broken off and remains attached to the root. Kelp can live 14 years or longer and can grow at the rate of 10-14cm a day.

Cast Bull Kelp is harvested on King Island. It is dried, crushed into granules, then shipped in containers to Scotland where alginates are extracted. It is probable that we use alginates every day, via products such as ice cream, drinks, salad dressings, detergents, toothpaste, paints, paper, dental, pharmaceutical and cosmetic preparations.

A completely different use for kelp has been created by King Island Kelp Craft. The kelp is sculptured and sewn into decorative hats, figurines and animals. Articles have the look of leather or ceramics.

Imagine a KI beef salad with kelp dressing or brushing your teeth with kelpgate!

Collingwood should investigate kelp hats for legends members, it may stop some of the whinging! :wink:
think positive
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by think positive »

Kelp is just about a perfect food!!

love the stuff, but hard to get the good stuff!!

like that king island cheese 7 cream too!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
stui magpie
Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 95 times

Post by stui magpie »

used menulog to get some home delivery. Not bad.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Cooking a chicken casserole for dinner, with Brown rice. Dunno how many I'm feeding, could be just me could be 5 or 6.

Used a spicy bacon and chili tomato based spaghetti sauce as the sauce and fried up some big chunks of chicken breast, onion, yellow capsicum, zuchinni, broccoli, and bacon.

Serve with the brown rice from the rice cooker.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Black_White

Post by Black_White »

Beware if you don't use the whole dish tonight.
Rice is one of the biggest causes of food poisoning in the world. Second hand rice that is. Consume quickly.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Ta for that but I have very good guts. Won't be a problem. Stick the leftovers in the fridge before bed,
Black_White

Post by Black_White »

1-2 days top for rice.
London Dave

Post by London Dave »

Black_White wrote:Beware if you don't use the whole dish tonight.
Rice is one of the biggest causes of food poisoning in the world. Second hand rice that is. Consume quickly.
Day old rice is best for making fried rice....
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Cooked some chili tonight for me. No one wanted the leftovers so they stay in the fridge for tomorrow night.

Son had a taste of the sauce by wiping his finger across the spatula. He was about to say it wasn't hot when his eyebrows took off and he lost his voice.

The Captain was convinced, against her better judgement, to touch her little finger into the sauce on the spatula and try it. She said it tasted nice, then the chili hit and she spent the next 10 minutes swearing at the son. :lol:
Daughter had some for dinner rather than the leftovers (she normally avoids red meat) with corn chips and pronounced it tasty.

I'd just like to alert Weribee now. Watch out tomorrow morning. 8)
luvdids

Post by luvdids »

After planning a BBQ for tonight yesterday, and buying the marinated skewers for said BBQ, then waking up today to hail, thunder, rain, wind etc, will now cook them in the pan with some fried rice. Haven't had fried rice for ages. Mmmm. Summer huh?? pfft
think positive
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by think positive »

/\ ah, so the weather is your fault!!

you didnt wash your car too did you??
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
luvdids

Post by luvdids »

No, but I did spray weed killer last night... Meant to not rain within 3 hours of spraying to be effective... Better spray again one day. :roll:
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

stui magpie wrote:Cooked some chili tonight for me. No one wanted the leftovers so they stay in the fridge for tomorrow night.

Son had a taste of the sauce by wiping his finger across the spatula. He was about to say it wasn't hot when his eyebrows took off and he lost his voice.

The Captain was convinced, against her better judgement, to touch her little finger into the sauce on the spatula and try it. She said it tasted nice, then the chili hit and she spent the next 10 minutes swearing at the son. :lol:
Daughter had some for dinner rather than the leftovers (she normally avoids red meat) with corn chips and pronounced it tasty.

I'd just like to alert Weribee now. Watch out tomorrow morning. 8)
Very funny Stui!!
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Cheers mate,

Tonight, the daughter decided she wanted to cook.

We're having chicken mince sausage rolls and Zucchini based pizza. WTF, I'll eat it.l

I've been roped in as assistant chef. "Do you want some X in it", OK. How bout some of this, OK.

taste test, needs more salt and garlic according to the daughter. She's cooking, my guts are good I can eat almost anything.
Peter Griffin

Post by Peter Griffin »

Probably fish and chips
Coles should sponsor Essendon because they're down and staying down!