So. What's for Dinner?

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

think positive
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by think positive »

ugh 2 veg i wont eat! cauli and brussel sprouts!

my dad made me eat them, no way will i eat them now, dont even buy them!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 45 times

Post by David »

Agreed on both. Brussels sprouts, only with tomato sauce; cauliflower, not under any circumstances.

I like/tolerate broccoli. :)
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
mandy

Post by mandy »

Few things can beat cauliflower and broccoli with cheese sauce baked in the oven.
#TEAMBUCKS
#TEAMEDDIE
#TEAMCOLLINGWOOD
#SIDEBYSIDE

Post by 3.14159 »

Absolutely.
Great with a roast.
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

I'm partial to steamed broccoli & cauiliflower. Cauliflower in Indian vege curries is magnificent - usually with potato & peas. I like all veg but my kids baulk at brussel sprouts & broad beans which my wife & I love.

The other vege I like but seems to have a very short season is Jerusalem artichoke - a root like vege tuber. It has nothing to do with jerusalem & nothing to do with artichokes although acc to wiki a frenchman thought the inner tuber was similar in taste to artichokes & so the name grew. Magnificent baked - sought of nutty taste - have to wash & peel it looks a bity like ginger & yummy along with baked spuds & anything else you put on the baking tray.

Has any one else tried them?
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
David

Post by David »

mandy wrote:Few things can beat cauliflower and broccoli with cheese sauce baked in the oven.
Yick!

Each to their own. :P
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Black_White

Post by Black_White »

Not a fan of Cauliflower. But did have Broccoli chilli feta pasta last night.
Delish.
HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

Do you wish there were any?

Post by 5150 »

watt price tully wrote:I'm partial to steamed broccoli & cauiliflower. Cauliflower in Indian vege curries is magnificent - usually with potato & peas. I like all veg but my kids baulk at brussel sprouts & broad beans which my wife & I love.

The other vege I like but seems to have a very short season is Jerusalem artichoke - a root like vege tuber. It has nothing to do with jerusalem & nothing to do with artichokes although acc to wiki a frenchman thought the inner tuber was similar in taste to artichokes & so the name grew. Magnificent baked - sought of nutty taste - have to wash & peel it looks a bity like ginger & yummy along with baked spuds & anything else you put on the baking tray.

Is it true JA's make you fart? I remember hearing it on a cooking show or something. :shock:
sq3

Post by sq3 »

Home made Singapore Noodles tonight (with Prawns).
Coaches give you direction but skills win you matches.
think positive

Post by think positive »

Black_White wrote:Not a fan of Cauliflower. But did have Broccoli chilli feta pasta last night.
Delish.
Broccoli is alright, as long as its not cooked to mush! Its really good for you, the darker the veg, the more vitamins apparently!! i like it lightly steamed with salt and pepper, and a sprinkle of Chilli.
Black_White

Post by Black_White »

You toss the broccoli in to the simmering pasta with 2 minutes to go.
Perfection.
stui magpie
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 95 times

Post by stui magpie »

watt price tully wrote:I'm partial to steamed broccoli & cauiliflower. Cauliflower in Indian vege curries is magnificent - usually with potato & peas. I like all veg but my kids baulk at brussel sprouts & broad beans which my wife & I love.

Never tried the artichokes but I like Cauli and broccoli. I used to hate Cauliflower when I was a kid cos my mum learned her cooking in the 40's on a wood stove. All veges had to be boiled to mush and all meat cooked within an inch of cremation.

When I learned that you could lightly cook such things as beans, cauliflower, cabbage etc I discovered that they had flavour. She'd never tried broccoli til I introduced her to it, now it's a staple.

Cauliflower is great lightly steamed with cheese, or in a curry or even small florets in a casserole.

Brussel sprouts I'll eat if they're dished up to me but I won't buy them myself.

However, having had a shit of a day my plans for dinner are American Honey on ice with beer chasers for an entree.
Beers, a couple of bottle of Cab Shiraz and a packet of BBQ shapes for the main course.
I'll decide on desert later.

In between courses there'll be beer.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
think positive

Post by think positive »

Out for dinner with work, Xmas thing, but im early so sitting outside etihad dreaming of footy!
David

Post by David »

think positive wrote:
Black_White wrote:Not a fan of Cauliflower. But did have Broccoli chilli feta pasta last night.
Delish.
Broccoli is alright, as long as its not cooked to mush! Its really good for you, the darker the veg, the more vitamins apparently!! i like it lightly steamed with salt and pepper, and a sprinkle of Chilli.
Agreed. Mushy vegetables are tasteless, and pretty much devoid of nutrients anyway.