Williamstown's 2003 playing list finalised

All things Williamstown - once Collingwood's VFL partner.

Moderator: bbmods

Dale61

Williamstown's 2003 playing list finalised

Post by Dale61 »

The 2003 players list was recently finalised, so to see who will be lining up for Williamstown this year, click the link below.

http://williamstown.footballvictoria.co ... leid=23619
Whale
Oil
Beef
Hooked
kurtman24

Williamstown list

Post by kurtman24 »

Dale - I'd be interested to get your thoughts on how you rate this year's list to previous years and whether you think Willi will play finals in firsts and/or reserves and who to look out for (non Collingwood players) on the list. Cheers.
Dale61

Post by Dale61 »

Mate, talk about putting me under the pump, but as I haven't really seen much of the flight players, it will be hard to tell how they'll go this early in the season, but I'll give my thoughts about what I've seen so far.

Last years guns - West, Lloyd, Fletcher, Pierce, etc. - have only had limited runs during the pre-season, but should be expected to maintain their high level of play. Of the recruits, Marcus Baldwin should be the main target up forward, but the other 'gun' recruit who is expected to play a major part up forward, Salesi Uhi, seems to be a little out of his depth playing senior VFL football. He could be a star in the reserves though. Sam Cranage will most likely get the same role that Chipper had last year, whilst Scott Taylor will add an extra dimension to the midfield.

Josh Mahoney is another who will add something, but where he'll line up is a mystery. Most likely in the midfield, but you can only have so many there, so he could spend a lot of time playing half forward.

Craig Smoker has played a lot of the practice matches as a running half back, and has looked quite good at that, so that could be his task this year.

Of the others, it will be anyone's guess.

As with any team pre-season, they are expecting an improvement on last year, and finishing in the top six is a reality.

The reserves have a lot to live up to being the reigning premiers, so the players that they have recruited must set themselves to achieve the ultimate prize for both the seniors and the reserves.
Whale
Oil
Beef
Hooked
kurtman24

Post by kurtman24 »

Thanks Dale. very informative. Agree re Salesi Uhi. I live in Canberra and have been involved with Belconnen for longer than I care to remember and he was a terrific third forward last year. I think he kicked 5 or 6 in the ACTAFL Grand Final after starting on the bench but the opposition didn't really have the defensive resources to cover all the Belconnen forwards. He's certainly big enough, takes a good grab and can kick straight enough but the question will be is he prepared to work hard enough?
It will be an interesting year and I hope that Fox Footy show some VFL games on the second footy channel that starts on Sunday. Willi seems to have recruited fairly well - I see quite a few names I recognise from previous year's TAC U/18 Cup so competition for places in the ones should be fairly high. I will be interested to see how Butler (formerly Bushrangers U/18, Freo & Carlton rookie list ) goes. I was impressed with him at the draft camp in Canberra a few years ago. It was a pity he didn't kick on. VFL might be his go.
Always enjoy reading your reports - thanks for the info.
Cheers